The traditional Otavalo Market is one of the symbols of tourism in Ecuador. Hundreds of Indians walk down from the mountains to offer their handcrafts in “La Plaza de los Ponchos” (The ponchos square).
Otavalo market is very colorful and full of life, where you can see the customs of the indigenous people of Ecuador. A variety of handcrafts are sold in the square, you will find all kind of prices and quality. Be sure to bargain the price! You can ask your guide if you want to visit the best weaver of Otavalo.
Our tours to Otavalo from Quito starts in you hotel and after one hour driving we will stop at Cayambe where we are going to visit the Equator line which is considered the true middle of the world. Then we will stop at the Miralago viewpoint where we will see the agricultural landscape of the Imbabura province. We will continue our journey until we reach our main objective the famous Otavalo indigenous market and its colorful “Plaza de los Ponchos”.
After visiting and buying some handcrafts in the market, we will go to Cotacachi town famous for its leather goods as jackets, purses, belts and shoes. Here we have time for lunch and try the typical food of Ecuador. We return to Quito around 17:00
Highlights / Facts
- Saturday is considered the biggest fair, and also just on Saturday is possible to visit the animal market early in the morning
- Optional lunch at a 300 years’ local hacienda
- Optional visit to a rose green house (under request)
- This tour is private. You get personalized attention all over the tour; as well as a flexible itinerary and schedules to include you all of the most important must-see sights and activities with professional drivers and modern transportation with AC
Duration: 7 to 8 hours
Type of service: Private
We also run a customized program of 2 or more days in Otavalo, staying in a Spanish farm called hacienda or visiting indigenous cultural projects as well.
The rate includes:
- Private transportation with an English – Spanish speaking guide.
- Meals & Drinks
- Alcoholic beverages
- Entrance fees to churches, museum, archeological sites, national parks or tourist attractions
- Optional activities
- Personal expenses
- Medical and Travel Insurance